The Trader Harbor
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Stocks
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Stocks

The Trader Harbor

Business

Paramount special committee extends Skydance ‘go shop’ period as it reviews Bronfman offer

by admin August 24, 2024
August 24, 2024
Paramount special committee extends Skydance ‘go shop’ period as it reviews Bronfman offer

The future of Paramount Global is still uncertain.

Paramount’s special committee on Wednesday said it would extend by 15 days an agreed-upon “go shop” period of its merger agreement with Skydance as it reviews a competing offer from Edgar Bronfman Jr.

Bronfman initially offered $4.3 billion late Monday for Shari Redstone’s National Amusements, the controlling shareholder of Paramount, according to a person familiar with the bid. As part of the bid, Bronfman would acquire a minority stake in Paramount. However, after placing the bid, Bronfman raised more funds to support a higher bid, said the person, who asked to remain anonymous to speak about specifics of the offer.

On Wednesday, Bronfman upped the bid and submitted a revised offer of $6 billion, the person said.

The offer looks to supersede Paramount’s merger agreement with Skydance Media, which came in early July and capped off a monthslong negotiation process. The agreement included a 45-day “go shop” period during which Paramount could solicit other offers.

A representative for Bronfman declined to comment.

The special committee on Wednesday confirmed “the receipt of an acquisition proposal from Edgar Bronfman, Jr., on behalf of a consortium of investors.”

“As a result, the ‘go shop’ period is extended for the Bronfman Consortium until September 5, 2024, pursuant to the transaction agreement to which the Company remains subject,” the committee said in a statement. “There can be no assurance this process will result in a Superior Proposal. The Company does not intend to disclose further developments unless and until it determines such disclosure is appropriate or is otherwise required.”

The committee added that during the initial “go shop” period it contacted more than 50 third parties to gauge potential acquisition interest. The go-shop period will still expire before midnight Wednesday for all other parties, the committee said.

The Skydance buying consortium, which also includes private equity firms RedBird Capital Partners and KKR, agreed to invest more than $8 billion into Paramount and to acquire National Amusements. The deal gives National Amusements an enterprise value of $2.4 billion, including $1.75 billion in equity.

As part of the Skydance deal, Paramount’s class A shareholders would receive $23 apiece in cash or stock, and class B shareholders would receive $15 per share, equating to a cash consideration totaling $4.5 billion available to public shareholders. Skydance also agreed to inject $1.5 billion of capital into Paramount’s balance sheet.

National Amusements owns 77% of Paramount’s class A shares, and 5% of class B shares. If the Skydance transaction were to close, it would wholly own class A Paramount shares, and 69% of the outstanding class B shares.

Bronfman’s initial bid proposed buying National Amusements in an equity deal valued at $1.75 billion. That offer included a $1.5 billion investment into Paramount’s balance sheet, like the Skydance deal, and also included covering the $400 million breakup fee that Paramount would owe Skydance if it walked away from the deal, according to the person familiar.

The sweetened bid made on Wednesday now includes $1.7 billion for a tender offer that would give non-Redstone, nonvoting Paramount shareholders the option to receive $16 a share, the person added.

Bronfman previously ran Warner Music and liquor company Seagram and has also served as executive chairman of Fubo TV since 2020. Details of his bid were first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

The merger agreement between Paramount and Skydance has drawn scrutiny from shareholders. Money manager Mario Gabelli reportedly filed a lawsuit looking for Paramount to turn over its books related to the Skydance deal — a possible first step toward a lawsuit challenging the deal. Investor Scott Baker reportedly sued to block the deal, arguing it would cost shareholders $1.65 billion.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Why Ford believes its $1.9 billion shift in EV strategy is the right choice for the company
next post
Peloton to start charging subscribers with used equipment $95 activation fee

Related Posts

The housing crunch is still squeezing buyers —...

July 31, 2024

Intel used to dominate the U.S. chip industry....

April 30, 2024

Babies R Us is back: Here’s why Kohl’s...

August 2, 2024

Frontier CEO urges crackdown on ‘rampant abuse’ of...

May 24, 2024

Women’s basketball league Unrivaled signs uniform deal with...

December 11, 2024

YouTube is dominating the living room, forcing media...

June 29, 2024

Stock market has worst day since 2022 as...

July 26, 2024

Nvidia’s CEO did a Q&A with analysts. What...

March 23, 2025

As retailers drop DEI programs, Black founders could...

February 15, 2025

Google launches first AI-powered Android update and new...

August 15, 2024

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Latest

    • The Real Drivers of This Market: AI, Semis & Robotics

      July 21, 2025
    • What Musk’s fracture with Trump means for GOP’s future: ‘Beating heart of the Republican Party’

      July 21, 2025
    • Trump’s housing chief rips Powell for blowing millions on Fed facelift during housing crisis he perpetuates

      July 21, 2025
    • Trump celebrates 6 months back in office: US ‘totally revived’ after being ‘DEAD’ under Biden

      July 21, 2025
    • Biden admin spent hefty sum of US tax dollars to upgrade embassy swimming pools in Iraq, Russia

      July 21, 2025
    • Trump heads to Scotland, continues ironing out trade deals after notching six months back in office

      July 21, 2025

    Categories

    • Business (1,299)
    • Politics (4,040)
    • Stocks (1,535)
    • Uncategorized (45)
    • World News (1,292)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: TheTraderHarbor, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 thetraderharbor.com | All Rights Reserved