The Trader Harbor
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Stocks
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Stocks

The Trader Harbor

Business

UnitedHealthcare sued by shareholders over reaction to CEO’s killing

by admin May 9, 2025
May 9, 2025
UnitedHealthcare sued by shareholders over reaction to CEO’s killing

A group of investors sued UnitedHealthcare Group on Wednesday, accusing the company of misleading them after the killing of its CEO, Brian Thompson.

The class action lawsuit — filed in the Southern District of New York — accuses the health insurance company of not initially adjusting their 2025 net earning outlook to factor in how Thompson’s killing would affect their operations.

On Dec. 3 — a day before Thompson was fatally shot — the company issued guidance that included net earnings of $28.15 to $28.65 per share and adjusted net earnings of $29.50 to $30.00 per share, the suit notes. And on January 16, the company announced that it was sticking with its old forecast.

The investors described this as “materially false and misleading,” pointing to the immense public scrutiny the company and the broader health insurance industry experienced in the wake of Thompson’s killing.

The group, which is seeking unspecified damages, argued that the public backlash prevented the company from pursuing ‘the aggressive, anti-consumer tactics that it would need to achieve’ its earnings goals.

‘As such, the Company was deliberately reckless in doubling down on its previously issued guidance,’ the suit reads.

The company eventually revised its 2025 outlook on April 17, citing a needed shift in corporate strategy — a move that caused its stock to drop more than 22% that day.

‘The company denies any allegations of wrongdoing and intends to defend the matter vigorously,’ a UnitedHealthcare spokesperson said in a statement.

Thompson’s fatal shooting on the streets of New York City in broad daylight sent shockwaves across the nation.

Luigi Mangione, the 27-year-old man accused of the killing, has pleaded not guilty to federal and state charges against him. The legal defense fund for Mangione surpassed the $1 million mark in donations on Tuesday.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Krispy Kreme stock plunges after doughnut chain pauses McDonald’s rollout, pulls outlook
next post
Rubio just got an additional job in Trump’s administration — and he’s not the only one wearing multiple hats

Related Posts

In a reversal, Disney’s media assets are starting...

August 9, 2024

Dow tumbles 475 points, S&P 500 suffers worst...

April 17, 2024

Biden blocks Japan’s Nippon Steel from $15 billion...

January 7, 2025

Walmart says more diners are buying its groceries...

May 17, 2024

To fix Starbucks, incoming CEO will have to...

August 21, 2024

Ulta and Target will end deal for in-store...

August 15, 2025

Amazon taps Whole Foods CEO to oversee grocery...

January 29, 2025

Household savings are thinning. Here’s how to put...

July 23, 2024

Bissell recalls 3.2 million handheld steam cleaners after...

July 24, 2024

Boeing investigates quality problem on undelivered 787s, sources...

June 17, 2024

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Latest

    • The Real Drivers of This Market: AI, Semis & Robotics

      August 31, 2025
    • S&P 500 Breaking Out Again: What This Means for Your Portfolio

      August 31, 2025
    • Epstein estate to hand over ‘birthday book’ to lawmakers, House Dem says

      August 31, 2025
    • Dyan Cannon denied White House entry after lying about her age on passport documents

      August 31, 2025
    • Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials

      August 31, 2025
    • Sen. Bernie Sanders calls on RFK Jr. to resign following departure of CDC officials

      August 31, 2025

    Categories

    • Business (1,370)
    • Politics (4,370)
    • Stocks (1,619)
    • Uncategorized (45)
    • World News (1,363)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: TheTraderHarbor, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 thetraderharbor.com | All Rights Reserved