The Trader Harbor
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Stocks
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Stocks

The Trader Harbor

Business

Elon Musk’s X sues advertisers over alleged ‘massive advertiser boycott’ after Twitter takeover

by admin August 7, 2024
August 7, 2024
Elon Musk’s X sues advertisers over alleged ‘massive advertiser boycott’ after Twitter takeover

WICHITA FALLS, Tex. — Elon Musk’s social media platform X has sued a group of advertisers, alleging that a “massive advertiser boycott” deprived the company of billions of dollars in revenue and violated antitrust laws.

The company formerly known as Twitter filed the lawsuit Tuesday in a federal court in Texas against the World Federation of Advertisers and member companies Unilever, Mars, CVS Health and Orsted.

It accused the advertising group’s initiative, called the Global Alliance for Responsible Media, of helping to coordinate a pause in advertising after Musk bought Twitter for $44 billion in late 2022 and overhauled its staff and policies.

Musk posted about the lawsuit on X on Tuesday, saying “now it is war” after two years of being nice and “getting nothing but empty words.”

X CEO Linda Yaccarino said in a video announcement that the lawsuit stemmed in part from evidence uncovered by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee which she said showed a “group of companies organized a systematic illegal boycott” against X.

The Republican-led committee had a hearing last month looking at whether current laws are “sufficient to deter anticompetitive collusion in online advertising.”

The lawsuit’s allegations center on the early days of Musk’s Twitter takeover and not a more recent dispute with advertisers that came a year later.

In November 2023, about a year after Musk bought the company, a number of advertisers began fleeing X over concerns about their ads showing up next to pro-Nazi content and hate speech on the site in general, with Musk inflaming tensions with his own posts endorsing an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

Musk later said those fleeing advertisers were engaging in “blackmail” and, using a profanity, essentially told them to go away.


This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Mortgage rates plunge to the lowest level in over a year after weak employment report
next post
Retiring Corvette ‘godfather’ on EVs, spinoff and a performance SUV

Related Posts

Boeing is in talks to reacquire fuselage maker...

March 5, 2024

Walgreens announces price cuts on 1,300 items amid...

May 30, 2024

Orange juice prices are going through the roof...

May 31, 2024

Eli Manning says ‘only one team’ he’d take...

January 8, 2025

Cargo thieves are attacking the U.S. supply chain...

May 11, 2025

How crazy popcorn buckets became big business for...

February 20, 2025

Fed Chair Powell says ‘time has come’ for...

August 25, 2024

This California startup is cleaning water and removing...

June 6, 2025

Musk loses more than $100B as Tesla gives...

February 28, 2025

Klarna, nearing IPO, plucks lucrative Walmart fintech partnership...

March 19, 2025

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Latest

    • The Real Drivers of This Market: AI, Semis & Robotics

      August 31, 2025
    • S&P 500 Breaking Out Again: What This Means for Your Portfolio

      August 31, 2025
    • Epstein estate to hand over ‘birthday book’ to lawmakers, House Dem says

      August 31, 2025
    • Dyan Cannon denied White House entry after lying about her age on passport documents

      August 31, 2025
    • Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials

      August 31, 2025
    • Sen. Bernie Sanders calls on RFK Jr. to resign following departure of CDC officials

      August 31, 2025

    Categories

    • Business (1,370)
    • Politics (4,370)
    • Stocks (1,619)
    • Uncategorized (45)
    • World News (1,363)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: TheTraderHarbor, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 thetraderharbor.com | All Rights Reserved